The African provinces The African provinces
The first Salesian Sisters set foot on African soil at Mers-el-Kebir in Algeria on December 8, 1893. Two years previously the Salesians had established a community there. The Sisters faced great poverty when they opened the oratory-youth centre which immediately welcomed all the girls and young women of the place. They set up sewing classes and became involved in catechism lessons and other tasks in the parish.(Cf. 'Journey of the Institute within a century’, vol.2)
In Africa, today, there are 9 Provinces consisting of 24 nations

  • AEC - EQUATORIAL AFRICA-CAMEROON, CONGO BRAZZAVILLE, GABON, EQUATORIAL GUINEA
    AEC AEC
    The Province of "S. Maria Domenica Mazzarello" (Equatorial Africa) was canonically erected on August 10, 2004.
    The birth of this Province resulted from the growth of the Province "Mother of God" (AFO) which covered 8 countries: 4 of West Africa and 4 of Central Africa.
    The great extension of the Province was difficult for the animation and the transfer of the Sisters.
    The Province has its centre at Libreville (Gabon) and covers 4 countries: Cameroon, Congo Brazzaville, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon.
    The principal mission of the communities are: kindergarten and elementary school, centres for the promotion of women, catechesis in the parishes, secondary school, professional schools, shelter home for girls-at-risk, oratory and youth centres and boarding homes.
    The Province looks after the formation of the aspirants and postulants of AEC and AFO.

    Province Soeurs Salésiennes
    B.P. 18225 Owendo
    LIBREVILLE (Gabon)
    Links » AEC Equatorial Africa
  • AES - AFRICA ETHIOPIA, SUDAN-ETHIOPIA, SUDAN, SOUTH SUDAN
    AES AES
    On January 13. 2010, the pre-province of Mary Help of Christians (AES) was born. After much discernment on the part of the General Council and consultation with the Province of Our Lady of Hope (AFE), the decision was reached to create an autonomous province from the two countries of Ethiopia and the Sudan.

    Saleisan Sisters
    P.O. Box 7648
    Addis Abeba - Bisrete Gabriel
    (Ethiopia)

    Links » AES Ethiopia, Sudan, South Sudan

  • AFC - DEM. REPUB. OF CONGO-DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO
    AFC AFC
    The province of “Our Lady of Africa” in Central Africa, was erected on November 19 1969
    However, the Sisters had been in Congo since January 24, 1926, where the Salesians were present since the year 1911, and had long awaited the arrival of the Sisters who would look after the girls and their mothers.
    The bishop of Sakania-Kipushi, Mons.Sak, had also invited the Sisters to his diocese. The first 6 Sisters started their mission in Sakania with an elementary school for women and girls, a dressmaking and sewing workshop, an oratory and a small orphanage.
    Until 1969, the Sisters were attached to the Belgian province, but with the division of the two Belgian provinces and the increase of the presences in Central Africa, it was seen fit to constitute a province with 47 Sisters.

    Filles de Marie Auxiliatrice
    (B.P. 28 LUBUMBASHI Rep. dem. Congo)
    Missieprokuur Don Bosco
    Wespelaarsebaan 205
    3190 Boortmeerbeek (Belgio)
  • AFE - EAST AFRICA-KENYA, RWANDA, TANZANIA
    AFE AFE
    The province of “Our Lady of Hope” was canonically erected on August 15, 1992 extending over various nations in East Africa, namely, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania and Rwanda.
    Initially, in 1988, the Houses in Kenya and Zambia together formed a Delegation and in 1989 with the Houses in Sudan and Ethiopia a pre-province was set up.
    Later, taking into account the languages spoken in the different nations, it was decided to erect the province of East Africa with its present components.
    The Sisters started their mission in these countries with promotional works and the education of women, by setting up vocational centres, self-help groups, health centres such as dispensaries service in local hospitals, kindergartens and some teaching in elementary and secondary catholic and public schools.

    Provincial Office
    Woodlands Road
    P.O. Box 57712
    00200 City Square
    NAIROBI (Kenya)
  • AFM - SOUTHERN AFRICA-LESOTHO, SOUTH AFRICA, ZAMBIA
    AFM AFM
    The province of “Our Lady of Peace” in southern Africa, was canonically erected on August 15, 1995. Initially, the Sisters in Southern Africa and Lesotho belonged to the Irish province and they later asked to be attached to an African province.
    Their mission first included elementary, primary, senior and junior secondary schools, the promotion of women and children, at risk.

    Provincial House
    P.O. BOX 22
    WALKERVILLE 1876
    Gauteng (South Africa)
    Links » AFM Southern Africa
  • AFO - WEST AFRICA-BENIN, IVORY COAST, GHANA, MALÍ, TOGO
    AFO AFO
    The province of the “Mother of God” in West Africa was canonically erected on August 5, 1992, at Lomé, Togo.
    Progetto AfricaThe presence of the Sisters in this region dates back to 1971 at Port Gentile (Gabon), It was established by the province of France in response to the appeal made within the institute to contribute towards ‘Project Africa’.
    In 1980, the Spanish provinces of Madrid (1980), Seville and Barcelona ( in 1982) contributed towards a significant presence in West Africa.
    On January 1, 1991, mother Marinella Castagno (Superior General) and her Council approved of this foundation and appointed Sr Yvonne Reungoat as superior of this pre-province.

    Province Soeurs Salèsiennes
    10 B.P. 2034
    ABIDJAN 10 (Côte d'Ivoire)
    Links » AFO West Africa
  • ANG - ANGOLA
    ANG ANG
    The pre-province “Queen of Peace” was canonically erected on January 22, 2004. It consists of 23 Sisters and 5 Communities in the territory of Angola.

    Casa N. Senhora Auxiliadora
    C.P. 1261
    LUANDA – Rep. De Angola
  • MDG - MADAGASCAR
    MDG MDG
    The province “Mary Source of Life” in Madagascar, was canonically erected on August 5, 2009.
    The setting up of this province dates back to May 13, 1986 as part of the Venetian province “Mary Queen.”
    The foundation of the first House was in Mahajanga and it was Mons. Armand Gaêtan Razafindatrandra, bishop of Mahajanga who requested the presence of the Congregation in his diocese, for the education of young people.
    Among the first 3 Sisters who arrived from the province of “Mary Queen”, there were 3 Italians, 1 Slovenian and 1 Croat who began their missionary activity in an elementary school, an oratory, women’s promotion and a dispensary.

    Filles de Marie Ausiliatrice
    II Y 24 bis Charles de Gaulle
    B.P. 6049 - Ambanidia
    101 Antananarivo (II Arrond.)
    Madagascar
  • MOZ - MOZAMBIQUE
    MOZ MOZ
    The creation of this province was brought about by the need to group the African provinces according to their official language.
    The Salesian Sisters and the Salesians had been solicited by the Portuguese government to take charge of the boarding schools that had been set up by the state, to care for children of parents who were separated and others that were at risk.
    On their arrival in Mozambique, the Sisters assumed the responsibility for boarding schools, primary and secondary schools, the preparation of young girls before marriage, health centres and pastoral ministry.
    The first communities belonged to Madrid, Spain, and were later part of the Portuguese province.
    When Mozambique gained Independence in 1975, it was seen fit to establish this presence as a Delegation, under the direct jurisdiction of the Mother House, in Rome, after which, a pre-province was set up in 1985 and a province, that included Angola., in 1992.

    Casa S. G. Bosco
    Av. Július Nyerere, 534
    MAPUTO (Mozambico)

OK Su questo sito NON utilizziamo cookie di profilazione, ma solo cookie tecnici e/o per il monitoraggio degli accessi. Se vuoi saperne di più clicca qui. Cliccando sul pulsante OK presti il consenso all'uso di tutti i cookie.