The Lombard province of ‘The Holy Family’ is the result of the unification of the previous three Lombard provinces and was canonically erected on 8th September 2003.
It was the conclusion of the first stage in the restructuring of the Italian provinces.
At the meoment there are 47 communities distributed throughout most of Lombardy, particularly in the archdiocese of Milan, with two in Switzerland. They are engaged in education in schools of all levels, including vocational training ones.
They collaborate in parish ministry with oratories and catechesis; they welcome university students in two hostels and offer their assistance as educators in a ‘family home’ for children. The first community in Lombardy was at Castano Primo, in the province of Milan, opened in 1891.
Until 1903 the other four communities in Lombardy were part of the Piedmontese province. In 1904 the Lombard pre-province of St.Charles Borromeo was established with Sr. Clelia Guglielminotti as its first superior.
In 1908, by a decree of 7th February, the Lombard province of ‘The Holy Family’ was canonically erected. It also embraced the communities in the Veneto and Emilia regions.
In general the communities were opened following requests made by the ecclesiastical authorities or the local civil adminstration.
The works included assistance in hostels for factory girls, the moral, civic and intellectual formation of young women, teaching catechism in the parishes, the education of children in kindergartens, taking charge of the domestic arrangements in Salesian institutes and social work.
The first Provincial was Sr. Teresa Pentore.
In 1923 the communities of the Veneto and Emilia regions were detached while development continued in the provinces of Varese, Lecco and Milan.
In 1945 the Lombard province of ‘Our Lady of the Holy Mountain’ was set up centred on Varese and the first Provincial was Mother Angela Chiarini.
In the early 1950s in Lombardy, a region of hard-working people imbued with great faith, at Castano Primo and Paullo the two miracles were obtained that lead to Mother Mazzarello’s canonization in 1951.
In 1971 the third Lombard province, ‘Mary Immaculate’, was formed with Sr Marinella Castagno as its first Provincial.
The need to recapture the significance of the FMA presence has required some indispensable restructuring which has resulted once again in the formation of one single province.
Casa Immacolata Concezione
Via Timavo, 14
20124 MILANO (MI)
Links » ILO Italy