The Province of “Mary Help of Christians” in the South Pacific Region was
canonically erected as a Province on November 20 1999
consisting of Australia, Samoa and American Samoa.
Although then the Sisters had already been present for 45 years in Australia and
in Samoa for 17 years, it was considered necessary to constitute these presences as a
Province, thus facilitating the animation and accompaniment of the Sisters.
The first Sisters arrived at Brooklyn Park, South Australia, from the United States,
during the Marian Year in 1954 at the request of the Archbishop of Adelaide, Matthew Beovich DD.
And Fr Ryan sdb, parish priest at St John Bosco, Brooklyn Park.
On their arrival,
the Sisters took over the Primary Parish School.
Initially, the Australian presence was under the jurisdiction of
the United States, then the Chinese province. They were set up as a
Delegation under the jurisdiction of the Mother House in Rome, in 1976 and in
1985 were set up as a Pre-Province
In 1999 the Province was erected with 7 Communities and 32 Sisters.
43, George Street,
Scoresby, Vic. 3179
Links » SPR Oceania